The three-day inaugural LREB Trade, Investment and Blue Economy Conference ended in Bomet on a high note Wedsday 25th October 2018, as delegates expressed optimism on unstoppable push for realization of the founders’ dreams for the Lake Region’s economic transformation.
The Chairman of the Bloc, H.E. Wycliffe Ambetsa Oparanya officially closed the conference and commended the host county’s remarkable attainment of high standards of organization and hosting of the event. He also acknowledged the national government’s commitment to the realization of the objectives of the economic bloc following President Uhuru’s acceptance to officially open the conference and also for launching the bloc’s blueprint in 2015.
The conference communique was read out by Bomet Governor and vice chairperson of LREB, H.E. Dr. Joyce Laboso while Kisii Governor, H.E. James Ongwae read out the resolutions.
Some of the key areas highlighted in the communique are as follows (all resolutions and communique items will be released in full shortly):
- Passing of LREB Bills by County Assemblies to be finalized by December 2018
- The bloc to collaborate with all levels of government – counties and national – to ensure that its blueprint is aligned to the national development agenda particularly the big four agenda.
- Commitment to harmonization of member counties’ tax regimes to ease trade among members
- Recognized the need for coordination of development programmes with other government agencies within a framework that ropes in key actors.
- Optimal and sustainable utilization of resources including conservation of forests, water management and infrastructure
- Support for establishment of special economic zones
- Undertake to promote alternative power sources, especially solar, to mitigate high cost of power
- Development of a policy framework for the bloc’s blue economy.
SIAYA COUNTY GOVERNMENT